Thursday 11 September 2014

Church Swine

 
Oh, it must have been almost a month ago that my friend Jackie showed up with the then latest issue of NME and gave it to me - he'd bought it for me - and I didn't know what to expect, I've been kind of out of the loop for a while. My eyes adjusted and I saw Richey Edwards on the cover. Well thanks so much, bud, this is swell because I don't always enter into society, I would have missed this issue and probably the next 500 to come, but whatever, materials. This is neat though, so I'd intended to give appreciation.

If you've not heard of Richey Edwards, that's a shame. He was the co-lyricist, rhythm guitarist and representative for the Manic Street Preachers. They're one of several bands I hold in high regard, their social commentary is the most effective and they really spoke for a generation, especially at a time when Madchester, Britpop, alcohol and pills were on the agenda.

It was coming up to the 20th anniversary of their beloved album, The Holy Bible, and so that's why they've got an extensive feature in this issue. Ten pages worth, rightly.


That is a Kerrang issue on the left. Dirty, dirty mag. I heard there was a Manic's Holy Bible feature in there, and there it is, all of two pages. Most impassioned band to grace the pages of that rag in years, I reckon. Since they changed their demographic it's been like a cross between a dirty magazine and a kids comic.

Still, good to see them featured at all. Maybe some scene kids will be able to discern what's real from what is a ream of superficial ridiculousness.

Heading: IS THIS THE DARKEST RECORD EVER?

I consider it to be in that division. If not the darkest, then certainly one of. For a reason though; it's not dark for the sake of it; it is the unembellished, ugly truth which religions choose to ignore. And ignorance breeds suffering, so why does religion nurture it? Because the ignorant and the weak are easily herded.

For all of its truth, by no means is it an ugly album; it's a plethora of emotions, truly a work of art. What I say can scarcely do it justice. Lyrically scathing, poetic and poignant, too. Richey wrote around 70-75% of the lyrical input for the record and it is unparalleled. I can only imagine the exquisite works he'd have produced if he'd stayed around and been able to overcome his despair.



Cover slogan: BRAND NEW TESTAMENT

It's been almost a month and I've not read either article. I'm always preoccupied, hence the delayed appreciation. I would have liked to have taken a picture with the magazine on the early evening it was given to me, a sobering sunset, sat on a park bench, but never mind, instead what we have are a selection of photos in a church. Kind of appropriate, kind of senseless.

I actually took them to read, but didn't get around to it. I finished the last three chapters of Kundalini Tales, then found half a bottle of church wine and impulsively downed the lot. I don't even like alcohol, haven't touched it in a couple of years, so got considerably tipsy. Essentially drank the blood of Christ and let the congregation go without. Afterwards I tried to comprehend what made me think it was a good idea to begin with. Strange one. Brain's readjusted now.

No comments:

Post a Comment