Sunday 31 August 2014

Extrapolate

The definition in Collins fourth edition pocket dictionary: Extrapolate - 'to infer (something not known) from the known facts.'

This word was on my mind when I awoke in the early hours. I'm the life of the party, me. Not the most exciting word, I know, but that's the thing, I didn't opt for it. It was just there. And I'm confident that I've not even heard or seen it before, let alone put it there. I hadn't even consciously known the meaning, so yeah. Where did it come from?

Seems to correspond with a sliver of a conversation I'd had with a friend that night. Indeed, as I was semi-conscious, I noticed the internal monologue which supplemented it like a newspaper clipping:

West Ryder: Oh... Ian Curtis... occult.

Jackie: Sure you're not just seeing what you want to see?

West Ryder: I'm not saying he was in a cult, I'm saying I think he was interested in the occult - occult knowledge. The more I understand, the more I recognise it in others' works.

He just likes to shoot me down. I know what he means though. I highlighted this not so long ago. It would be easy to look for significance and find it everywhere to the point that it seems absurd, it might be nothing or it might be e v e r y t h i n g, however, these other times the significance feels drawn to our attention, drawn to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment